Dentures vs Dental Implants: Choosing the Right Option
When it comes to replacement teeth, there are a number of options that can effectively cater to your individual needs. At St. Luke’s OMS, dental implants and dentures are among the most popular options. Patients often trust our professionals with helping to restore a smile that they can feel confident with.
Choosing which solution is best for you, however, requires a great deal of consideration. Both dental implants and dentures carry a list of pros and cons. Below are a few things to consider when making your decision:
- Cost – Dentures are often far more affordable than dental implants. This is because they do not provide the long-lasting solution that implants promise.
- Practicality – Dental implants are often a more practical solution for the lifestyle of many patients. Dentures can lead to difficulty speaking and eating many foods, whereas dental implants function as normal teeth would. Dentures also need to be removed every night and regularly cleaned to remain useful. Implants are cared for just as your natural teeth would be.
- Fit & Look – Dental implants are surgically placed into the spaces where your old teeth used to be. This offers a more natural look and feel compared to dentures, which often require added solutions to remain in place.
- Duration – Depending on your age, the solution you choose may last for the rest of your life. Dentures are often replaced every few years, whereas dental implants can last up to 20 years or more.
- Ability to Modify – Dentures are far less permanent than dental implants, allowing them to be modified for added comfort or a more natural fit and feel. Dental implants are, more or less, replacement teeth, meaning that once they are in your mouth, you will need to undergo another procedure to make any requested changes.
For assistance deciding which option is best for you, contact the professionals at St. Luke’s OMS. For the best oral surgery care in Allentown, PA; Bethlehem, PA; and surrounding areas, our experts are ready to help.